An HBO streaming service that does not require an associated cable subscription is coming in mid-October, according to Variety. The rollout is confined to only a few European countries, but it’s an embrace from Time Warner to cord-cutters that non-HBO customers have long sought.
The service, named HBO Nordic AB, will allow customers in Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark to stream subtitled versions of the same content available in the US. Original series like Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire, as well as movies that are featured by the channel, will be streamable at HBONordic.com.
As a standalone streaming service, HBO Nordic AB will cost 10 euros (about $12.50) per month, and HBO will also remain as an add-on service to regular cable subscriptions. Despite the similarity of the streaming service to Time Warner’s mobile streaming apps in the US named HBO Go, the company won’t carry over the brand internationally.
Variety points out that HBO does currently have a “standalone digital product” in Poland, but its reach is small. HBO’s expansion in Europe comes shortly after Netflix announced plans to service the area with its own, broader streaming catalog.
Interesting. Will this be the test bed for something similar (and much sought by at least some HBO fans who are petitioning for access to the service without buying $100/month of other cable TV).
- akittensblog likes this
- cjdrumm likes this
- marycricket likes this
- criada reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
- sockparade reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
- mardallie likes this
- variationintime likes this
- emergentfutures reblogged this from stoweboyd
- kevcole21 likes this
- gravity-rainbow likes this
- gbattle likes this
- mjhay1823 reblogged this from stoweboyd
- digithoughts likes this
- This was featured in #Tech
- inspirationstoshare likes this
- techemotions likes this
- sillydrunk reblogged this from futuristgerd
- mctumblovin likes this
- chrisoftheomniverse likes this
- fireoneout likes this
- ahandsomestark reblogged this from futuristgerd
- futuristgerd likes this